Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Baby Wraps

Samantha and I were emailing a few months back about which type of baby carrier we were going to choose. I told her that I didn't want to pay for one (those suckers are expensive!), but that I was going to make one similar to the Moby Wrap. She was intrigued, and asked me to post a tutorial when I got around to making it. So, Samantha, here you are! As promised!

This is probably (literally) the EASIEST thing you will ever create. I will show you an easy version, and an even easier one (no sewing required!!). The additional steps/materials for the more "complicated" style will be italicized.

Materials Needed:
  • 5 yards knit cotton - 44 in wide (jersey knit works well, or a cotton/spandex blend)
  • scissors
  • 2 fat quarters(18x22 fabric "square" can be found in the quilting section) of your choice, do not need to be the same pattern pins
  • sewing machine
  • corresponding thread

  • Fold fabric in half lengthwise.
  • Cut down the midde, so you now have two 5 yard strips.

TA-DA!! You are now the proud owner of not one but TWO home made baby wraps!

For those of you looking for more of a challenge, carry on.

  • Find the center of the wrap mark with a pin.
  • Find the center of the fat quarter, match to pin in wrap. I like to use my moms serger, to clean up the edges of the quarters, to help prevent unravelling and to even everything out. If you don't have a serger, you can get the same effect from your sewing machine, using a wide zig-zag stitch. This is not necessary at all.
  • Center the fat quarter on wrap and pin down.
  • Sew along all four edges, keeping fabric taut but not stretched.

And wha-la! A custom baby wrap! Plus, its reversible! Mine is staying black on one side, with the pink paisley on the other. However, you can certainly add another fabric panel, and make both sides patterned.

*Scott has asked me to mention that he was a very unwilling model. However, he had no choice, as I am far too pregnant to show you how it works. **

For directions on how to use your baby wrap, I would try You tube. Please let me know if I wasn't clear enough, or you have any questions! Also, let me know if you make your own, and send me a picture!

Pin It

1 comments:

Jenni said...

seriously you are tooo cute!! I love it!! You should sell em on etsy.. HA not like your going to be busy or anything after baby comes.. Just sayn.. :)