Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Meatloaf!

Thanks to Facebook and my Latte girls, I was given a plethora of meatloaf recipes! I was very surprised that I have so many friends who make meatloaf! Being lazy and pregnant, I made my moms since hers goes in the microwave, not the oven! Cut the cook time right in half! Here's her recipe, in case you're interested!

My Moms Microwave Meatloaf
  • 1 lb Ground Turkey

  • 1 small can Tomato sauce ( I accidentally grabbed tomato soup, and it turned out just fine!) divided in half

  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs - preferably with Italian Seasonings (I made my own! I very lightly toasted two pieces of white bread, broke them into about 4 pieces each and tossed them in my food chopper. I added Italian Seasoning from my spice rack, and chopped until it was crumbs)

  • Parmesan Cheese (I had powdered, but any kind should work)

  • 1 egg

  • onion powder

  • garlic powder

  • salt

  • pepper

  • Italian Seasoning

I also added Oregano.

Mix all the ingredients into half the tomato sauce.

Put into round covered casserole dish, mash flat.

Pour remaining sauce (or soup, in my case!) on top.

Cook 15 minutes at 50% power. Mine wasn't even close to done at 15 minutes! I think my mom had a super microwave when we were younger! I upped the power to 80% and ran another 15 minutes and that did the trick.

If you don't have a round covered casserole dish, and you are using a loaf pan, you do need to cook it in the oven. All the recipes I've read called for approx 1-1.5 hours at 400-475 degrees. But I've never done it that way, so I can't attest to the accuracy of those numbers.

I also made mashed potatoes (from scratch) and corn on the cob. Talk about feeling domestic! I even whipped the potatoes by hand! It was delicious! And it was a real, honest-to-goodness homecooked meal! I cleaned my plate!


My plan is to make someone else's meatloaf each month. So keep those recipes coming!!

Pin It

0 comments: